Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Gasping for air

Last night was my first chance to join Team in Training (TNT) for our group / coached swim. First, I was a few minutes late (which I hate) because I got a little lost and had a difficult time finding the place. When I got there, I was happy to see a few familiar faces that I recognized from our group run a few days ago.

I jumped in the pool, did a few warm up laps and we jumped right into the drills. Man these guys (and girls) are fast! I have been swimming on my own for a couple of weeks now, but apparently haven't pushed the pace like I should. By the end of the night we swam just over a mile within an hour! And let me tell you they kicked my butt. I have got to train harder to keep up. Ahh, the benefits of a coach.

At some point during the night I physically hit a low point; a point where I didn't think I was able to swim another lap. I was considering finishing the current lap and quitting for the night. Somehow, while I was struggling to breath I thought about Angela and how she didn't quite (not once!) through any of her chemo cycles. So who am I to quit? With the thought of Angela's inspiration I was able to finish practice without quitting.

After I got home from swim practice I was able to catch the end of The Biggest Loser. Oh cow, those people worked their butt off to lose all that weight. At least one guy lost over 200 POUNDS!

Today, my training schedule tells me to run, 35 minutes to be exact. UGH! The thought of expending any amount of energy right now is overwhelming. But between now and lunch I will have to find the energy.

…until next time keep pushing forward.

2 comments:

Gila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gila said...

Groups are great for making you move. I found that out on my bike ride--having to keep up with others pushes you in a way that you just don't push yourself.

Good for you for doing this! I will gladly sponsor you...just not this month. :)

Gila (Angela's friend)