Friday, April 11, 2008

Oh what a feeling...

Last night was a brick workout. For those dedicated blog readers you know from previous posts that a brick workout is where 2 disciplines are practiced back to back. Last night it was a swim and run. I jumped in the pool, knocked out my laps (slow as usual), quickly changed, rehydrated with some Gatorade, and hit the road to start my run.

At first, the run was slow and painful. My left calf was causing me some pain early in the run but I decided to try to work through it. Because you never know what can happen during a race. As my run continued, I passed mile 3 the pain in my calf began to subside (but still there) and I began to hit a comfortable stride. I cruised through the next 3 miles or so without much difficulty.

As I was finishing up my last 3 miles, the sun was setting, and I began to think. No, I was not thinking about gasping for the next breath of air, or tripping over a pebble on the road because I can't lift my foot to take another step. No, I was thinking of the fact that I had been training for nearly 2 hours straight and I was still feeling....strong. Yes, strong! Strong in the since that I still had a lot more power remaining, good rhythm, and enjoying my workout. Then my thoughts began to shift into thinking, "What makes an athlete well, for lack of a better word, an athlete?" When is a person who runs become a runner? Is it when they complete their first race?, first 10K?, or a marathon? And in my case, if I finish my triathlon, does that make me a Triathlete? Oh, the things that one considers while putting one foot in front of another. :)

A volleyball league that Angela and I play in (separate teams) started last night. After my 2 hour workout I thought it would be a good idea to play another hour of volleyball. Angela's team played first, I started training early so I could watch/coach/cheer Angela's team. They played well, especially Angela who has not played volleyball in over a year. You go GIRL! Afterwards, I my team played. We played well also.

The big question is How do I feel today? I actually feel pretty good, a little tired (we didn't go to bed until midnight) but not too sore yet....it might come later....then you will hear me say OH, WHAT A FEELING!

Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

victory4angela said...

You're a triathlete!! You now have the TNT wetsuit so it's official.

I'm so proud of your for your dedication to training and all of your hard work and sore muscles that go along with it. You can do it!