Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas Redo

Yesterday my wifes family was finally able to celebrate Christmas together. If you remember from my previous blog entry my wife and I were in Texas for Christmas helping my Mom recover from knee surgery.  We cooked all the traditional foods, big turkey, potates, etc, etc....except we put a twist on it. You see, I was bored with the traditional foods prepared the traditional way. So we came up with a plan to DEEP FRY the turkey. 

Made a call to Mike (wife's brother) and he brought over his deep fryer. We first injected the turkey with a lots of cajun spice, then put more spice (rub) on the outside of him, and dunked him in the fryer. MAN, let me tell you that was the best turkey I had a quite some time. The turkey set the tone for the rest of the meal, everyone embrassed the theme and made the meal just a little different. Its was great!

Before the big feast I went on my normal Saturday morning bike ride with my neighbor Ed. Great guy, great family and kids, and just fun to be around. We headed out on the C&O Canal, we had to cut it a little short because I needed to get back to the house and help prepare for company. We biked 16 miles. Ed wanted a Coke (yeah we live large!) and there was a store about 1 mile from the parking lot. So, I said hay, I am going to meet you at the store....I will run. Ed, being a former triathlete himself took it in stride and said "ok". So, that was it, MY FIRST BRICK workout of 2009. A 16 mile bike folllowed by a 1 mile run. For the record, I was on a 7 min/mile pace (fast for me) on the run. Now I just have to get to the pool. Which I hope to do today! 

1 comment:

Silly Girl said...

Happy New Year!

It's good to see you blogging again. It's nice to "stay in touch" with what's going on with you since we don't seem to be able to get together as often as we once did.