Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oh, the pain!

I am pleased to announce that I made it through another week of training.

My training plan focuses on time rather than miles but according to my math I have swam, bike, and ran a total of 36 heart pumping miles since last week! And boy do I feel it. And, my training schedule has me running, biking, and swimming 36 more miles before Sunday.

Tuesdays are my swim coached swim practice with my Team in Training group. It is never a good sign when the coach starts out the practice session stating "If you haven't been swimming over the holiday break or this is your first practice, then this is going to hurt!" About then is when it hit me, oh boy what did I get myself into? We swam just over 1 mile in the pool; performing various swimming drills and speeds. By time I road home (the pool is in DC) I was so sore. I could only think it is usually WORSE the following day!

Angela prompted rubbed Tiger Bomb (like Ben Gay – but way hotter) on my shoulders and back. The she got a massager thingy for xmas so I thought no better time then the present, right? Massage = ahhhhhhhhh. Then I slept with the heating pad on my back. Amazingly, that combo worked. I woke up the next morning (groggy as usually) but there was NO PAIN. YAY!!

Wednesday – after felling better from my massage therapy (Thanks Angela!) I was feeling good and was able to complete my nearly 1 hour bike ride without too much difficulty. Riding the bike for so long creates soreness, not so much from any muscle but rather from the back-side if you know what I mean? If not, dust off that old mountain bike, remove the seat, replace it with Tupperware bowl, wrap a ripped piece of cloth around it, then ride the bike for an hour. Let me know where your soreness is.

Today, I am supposed to do my “brick” workout. A brick in triathlon terms is where you perform 2 disciplines back-to-back in the same workout. Say what? These people are truly crazy! The 2 disciplines today are swim/run. However, since I don’t belong to a gym (that has a pool and exercise equipment) so I am going to have split the workouts between afternoon and evening. I know it is not the same as a brick workout but it will have to do.

Mo MONEY! – As everyone knows I have to raise $4200 for this raise. I have finalized a donation letter that I will be sending out to family and friends. I will also be hosting several poker/game nights to raise money. Additionally, I have been brainstorming with several friends with different ways to raise money and I think we have some pretty cool stuff in the works. Stay tuned for more details.

No comments: